Friday, July 24, 2009

Ah....I finally found something worth blogging about which are both too long to post on Facebook or to txt to anyone.... enjoy!

The swing story:
I was outside enjoying the beautiful weather (no really, it was really nice out yesterday) and I wanted to get on our tree swing. Mind you, I haven't been on it for a good while..since I was in...middle school-ish (my dad took it down for a loooong time (because it "killed the grass" to have us running and swinging on that area), and then finally buckled and put it back up for the grand kids a few years ago). The other thing to keep in mind is that I live on a hill, a pretty steep one at that. So I approached the swing uphill and looked at the swing (it's also a rope swing) and thought, "how am I going to get on? It's above my hip! ...how do the kids get on??" So, I just grabbed the rope and jumped and pulled myself up with my arms and started swinging. My toes barely touched when I sung towards the house (which is uphill)... so I swung for a good little while. It was a ton of fun, and I felt like a kid again! Now for those of you who have had any fun on a rope swing you know you have to constantly use your arms to keep your balance. Not such a big deal when there's less of you...but as an adult...it can get tiring. So as I started thinking about getting off (I was getting dizzy) I realized there might be a slight problem.... my arms were tired, so pulling my whole weight up would be a challenge. (Not that that's an easy feat for me on a typical day!) And, if I lost my momentum....I wouldn't be able to touch the ground...one of the few times I curse being so short... (I know go ahead and laugh it up, all you tall or normal sized ppl!) Yet, if I had any momentum getting off without getting my legs tangled, pants ripped and falling would also be a challenge. So...I just kept swinging for a while longer. My mom came out and was like, "You're still swinging?' And I laughed and told her I thought I might be stuck...to which she just chuckled, asked if I wanted her to come hold the swing for me, and when I refused turned to go back inside. So...I then decided I better just try it...and if I rip my pants of get splinters in my thighs...so be it. So I....very ungracefully managed to get off the rope swing. (no ripped pants OR splinters) I was very proud of myself. :) It was difficult though... ;)

Me vs. my Dad
So today I had an interesting little run-in with my father. As we were driving home from the Albertson's home, he brought up the fact that my mother will be out of town all of next week. He then asks if I'm going to "take care"of him, if I was going to be home when he got home and make dinner for him. I told him I wasn't even going to pretend I knew if I was going to be home every night, and that no I wouldn't be cooking every night. He was shocked. I was shocked that he was shocked! I told him I'd make dinner a night or two, but that I wasn't going to cook all week! He then wanted to know why. I told him because I wasn't raised in his generation. (which I should have known better...that opened up the can of...trouble...something my dad wasn't prepared for...) He wanted to know what that meant. I told him it simply meant that because I'm a woman doesn't tie me to the kitchen to cook every night! He then told me that it's the Lord's way to Honor your parents...to which I replied, I DO honor my parents, but that still does not make it MY responsibility to cook for him every night! Here's the best part though. Through this whole discussion, we laughed (though we could both tell we were dead serious) and we ended it with a hug. But I KNOW I probably just "fell" in my father's estimation as being a good obedient daughter. It's not that I mind making him dinner, and most definitively would and will help my parents when I can....it's just that it irritated me because it expected was of me because I'm female. That hit a nerve. Still does! Funny follow up is that when my mom came home just a few minutes ago he was talking to her about it... and I overheard them. Like I said, I was raised in a different generation (example: it's a pet peeve of mine when women do all the cooking AND dishes afterward, and the husband just sits around and relaxes...I know he probably just is tired, but I can GUARANTEE the woman is just as tired!). Oh well. I still love my parents, but this is one thing that I have a strong opinion on. Just because I'm female, and my father's daughter...doesn't mean I'm obligated to cook for him every night. He's a grown man, for pete's sake, and should be able to take care of himself! BUT, because I love him so much, I will make dinner... (let me put as a side note that I think it's different for a wife. She does have certain responsibilities, but I'm nobodies wife....just a daughter!) Anyways....now that I've vented a wee bit.... Um, I love you Dad! You are amazing, but you pushed a "button" tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment